Volunteer with Porridge and Rice
Volunteers with Porridge and Rice do a lot of useful work in our partner schools. We usually run three volunteer trips per year, achieving a number of projects each time. We accept help from volunteers with a wide range of skills, from a wide age range and from a variety of backgrounds.
We have a gallery of volunteer photos where you will also find an application form. Check it out!
What kind of projects do volunteers take part in?
- Taking lessons in nutrition, health, and other academic subjects for children, teachers and parents
- Building new classrooms, kitchens and other school facilities
- Building platforms for water tanks
- Sourcing water tanks for hand washing facilities
- Digging to re-route drains around, rather than through, school property
- Weighing and measuring children
- Assessing applications from non-partner schools
- Buying cooking pots and jiko
- Finding new food suppliers and negotiating prices
- Researching how to access health services for the children
- And many more...
To get a more detailed insight into what it's like to volunteer with Porridge and Rice, please download the latest version of our volunteer handbook.
Volunteers are encouraged to explore Kenya while they are visiting. Weekend trips that our volunteers have taken include a safari holiday, visiting an elephant sanctuary, and climbing Mount Kenya.
Volunteers are entirely self-funded, paying for their own accommodation and travel costs, and any leisure trips while in Kenya. Porridge and Rice charges a small administration fee for booking flights and accommodation on behalf of volunteers. For more details, please download our volunteer handbook.
If you are interested in arranging a group volunteer trip with Porridge and Rice, please get in touch.
In recent times there has been a lot of criticism of "voluntourism". Click here to read our response.