The Sustainability Programme
While we hope to remain in contact with our schools for many years to come, we don't want them to be dependent on us. Our sustainability programme works with the schools to open up new income streams and to make economies so that they can operate on a self-funded basis.
Too many schools in the Nairobi slums are in arrears with teachers' salaries because they can't balance the books. Relying on school fees from the poorest communities in society creates a situation where making ends meet is pretty much impossible. Our schools have been brought up to date with paying teachers' salaries, and we are working with them to make this the norm, not the exception.
What is Porridge and Rice doing?
- Working with teaching staff to make sure that those who can pay do pay
- Extended the pig breeding programme started at Compassion CBO to provide meat and additional income
- Extended the chicken programme started at Compassion CBO to provide meat and additional income
- Encourage the growing of vegetables to supplement the schools' food supply - the schools are now self-sufficient in yellow sweet potatoes
- Set up a "land fund" so that the schools don't have to rent premises. Our first plots have been acruired - more are needed.