Volunteer with Porridge and Rice in the UK
We're always happy to support fund-raising efforts by our non-Kenyan supporters - if you are fund-raising for us, please let us know and we will publicise your efforts through social media. If you want to help, and socialise at the same time, there are many ways to get involved.
We collect second-hand books for re-sale online to raise funds for Porridge and Rice. Please get in touch if you have old books you are willing to donate.
If you are getting rid of pretty much anything, there is a chance we can use it for our Kenyan schools. We have been given stock from businesses that are being liquidated, excess conference "freebie" back-packs which can be used as school bags by our students, stationery, clothing, and books. If you have something you think could be of use to us, please get in touch.
Porridge and Rice carry out a number of different fund-raising events in the UK to support our activities in Nairobi. Forthcoming events include...
- Crafting for Porridge and Rice - on the first Sunday of each month a group of volunteers meets to make items for the charity to sell at local fairs. No previous skills or experience are required, and all hands are welcome!
- Fund-raising fairs - we are always keen to welcome new volunteers to help at the fund-raising fairs we attend. No previous skills or experience required - newcomers are welcome. It helps if you are an animal-lover, though...
- Street Collections - occasionally we get permission to rattle buckets in the street or at stations, and we can always use extra helpers. All you (usually) need is the ability to withstand the cold!
- Porridge and Rice Committee Meeting - everyone who actively participates in Porridge and Rice activities is encouraged to attend committee meetings and join in running the charity.
- March 2020
- April 2020
- 5 April 2.30pm - Crafting for Porridge and Rice
- 5 April 7.0pm - Porridge and Rice Committee Meeting
- 12 April - Church Street Easter Craft Fair, Twickenham
- May 2020
- 3 May 2.30pm - Crafting for Porridge and Rice
- 3 May 7.0pm - Porridge and Rice Committee Meeting
- 25 May - HANDS Fair, Twickenham
- June 2020
- 7 June 2.30pm - Crafting for Porridge and Rice
- 7 June 7.0pm - Porridge and Rice Committee Meeting
- 13/14 June - Twickenham Festival - Church Street Goes Green
- 21 June - Twickenham Festival Craft Fair
- July 2020
- August 2020
Charity members are also happy to come and speak to organisations to spread the word about the work that we are doing. We have recently spoken at a number of Rotary Clubs and WI meetings - please get in touch if you want to arrange a talk for your group. All we ask is a small donation to the charity!
Every year we participate in the TILNAR cycle challenge - Find out more here!