The Health And Hygiene Programme
The aim of our health and hygiene programme is to leverage the resources and knowledge we have in order to improve the medium to long term health prospects of the children in our partner schools. Building on the foundation of the feeding and nutrition programme, we look to leverage knowledge and basic hygiene concepts.
The slum communities have many health challenges that stem from both environment and a lack of education. Infant mortality rates are high, and children often miss school due to poor health and malnutrition. Chronic conditions go unidentifed and untreated because parents and staff don't know what to look out for.
What is Porridge and Rice doing?
- Re-routing open drains around school property
- Delivering lessons on disease control
- Obtaining and delivering albendazole to combat intestinal worm infection
- Inspecting children for eye and skin infections; referring to formal medical care; payment of clinic fees where necessary
- Introducing a regular cleaning regime for classrooms and school toilets; providing bleach and disinfectant
- Providing hand washing facilities, including soap, for before meals and after toilet
- Introducing a daily face washing schedule to address the risks of conjunctivitis and trachoma
- Monitoring child height and weight and comparing to WHO centile growth charts to track progress
- Providing sanitary towels for all female teachers and menstruating students
- Training all Porridge and Rice schools' teachers in basic first aid
Porridge and Rice is a member of the STH Coalition.